Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lesson Reflection and Future Implementation

Writing about this lesson really got me thinking of how I will implement this next year. Overall, I was really satisfied with the success of this lesson. I felt that it did establish a CREDE based classroom that would not only benefit ELL students, but English first students as well. Even though I am so optimistic about his lesson, I realize that it can be improved. For starters, like I said in my previous blog, my introduction for the lesson didn't promote CREDE Standard I or V like it should have. I engaged the students in an introductory lecture, instead of having them work together and discuss and share their previous knowledge. Perhaps next year I will start with a labeling activity that requires students to browse a piece of non-fiction text and label the text feature they already know and then think-pair-share with a partner. I also would like to expand the content literacy library to be more culturally adaptive. Next year's class has a number students of Indian descent, I would like to acquire some texts that are like my Central America text in order to maintain CREDE Standard III. I also would like to follow Dr. Garcia's responsive "R" by making the students get more ideas and resources from their parents or family members. One last thing for next year, depended on the reading levels of my class, I would like to get more above and on-grade-level texts to keep the lesson challenging and reflective of CREDE Standard IV. I look forward to instructing and perfecting this lesson as the years go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment